How much sleep do you need?
Experts recommend for adults to get 7-9 hours of sleep each night. Many of us don’t get the recommended amount of sleep and studies have shown that lack of sleep can affect your health, both physically and emotionally. The lack of sleep can be for many reasons including work, personal issues and physical pain. To get the right amount of sleep there are some essentials to consider, including having the right mattress and pillow.
What happens if I don’t get enough sleep?
Healthy sleep is essential to our ability to function and thrive in life. Lack of sleep can contribute to numerous of health problems. Not getting enough sleep may cause issues such as memory loss, irritability, slow reflexes and an increase in illness and stress. Increased stress has been linked to weight gain, premature ageing, hormone imbalances, hair loss and lowered immune function.
How can I improve my sleep?
Research has shown that there are many ways that you can improve your sleep, including by:
- Going to bed at the same time every night – this helps to reinforce your body’s natural circadian rhythms.
- Avoiding using electronic devices an hour (or more) before bed – studies have shown that exposure to short wavelength blue light can disrupt the production of melatonin, which helps to regulate and promote sleep.
- Avoiding caffeine in the evening – caffeine is a stimulant that can make it difficult to fall asleep or cause disrupted sleep.
- Improving your sleep environment – experts recommend keeping your bedroom cool, dark and quiet to promote deep sleep, it this is an issue for your try using blackout curtains, earplugs, a fan or other devices as needed.
- Ensuring your mattress and pillow are both comfortable – perhaps the most important of all, the quality of your mattress and pillow can make an enormous difference to the quality of your sleep.
If you’re looking for a new mattress, consider the MLILY brand.
MLILY’s Memory Foam mattresses and pillows are some of the most comfortable on the market today. The Memory Foam constructions used in MLILY mattresses and pillows help to reduce stress on pressure points, such as your hips or shoulders, helping to reduce the likelihood of tossing and turning and promoting deep restful sleep.